Sunday, January 14, 2007

Quarter Life Crisis

“Rabiya, you are painfully bad.” This one sentence out of my mother’s mouth, coupled with the expression on her face was enough to (for once) quiet me and put me completely to shame.

Every time she brings up the prospect of marriage or a potential ‘candidate’ that some wonderful friend of hers has mentioned, I throw temper tantrums, offer my three younger sisters in my place, and remind her that pursuing my education should be like a Get Out of Jail Free when it comes to the notion of marriage (for the next five years at least). My mother not only puts up with my insolent-child like antics, she often even jokes with me. She jokingly warns me that if I wait too long, the only options I will have left are men who are ugly or will make me keep my mouth shut. The only time see her puts real pressure on me is when overbearing family or friends impose on her their own screwed up notions of what they think her priorities should be for her daughters.

Today, she made me sit down with her to watch an episode of Shaadi Online, a TV show on Geo. I found it amusing, and of course I had to let my mother know this with every other comment that flew out of my mouth. One man, in detailing out what his requirements are for his perfect match, said he wants a seedi (simple) girl. I of course blurted out something like why is this guy looking for a simpleton wife online, when the true half-wits probably cannot even turn on their computers. My mother shot me an annoyed look, but she had a half smile on her face, which was the encouragement I needed to keep going. She had to spend half an hour listening to my obnoxious comments, at the end of which, she turned off the TV, and I learned her actual motive in making me watch the show with her. She started telling me about this guy that lives in Chicago, related to one of her friends from the Masjid. At the end of it, she said something like, ‘they want to know our demands.’ I replied with, “Our demands? We all have to be on the very same page? And do we get to make a list of demands, kind of like a birthday wish list or something?” My mother ignored my lame comment and kept going, “He needs to be well educated, from a good family, and (I think the last one was) well established (not really sure what that means).” I replied with, “Well, what if I want someone that’s uneducated, from a bad family, and anti-established?” She gave me a disappointed look, an exasperated sigh, and told me I was painfully bad.

A few weeks ago, I lost my nanni, a woman very close to me. It was devastating, and I sometimes think of one of the last things she said to me. She asked me if I wanted the chooriya (bangles). My grandmother had these four gold bangles that I absolutely love, and would often offer them to me if I agreed to get married. This little bribe became a family joke, and my mother and others would often tell me that nanni wants to know if I want those bangles yet. When she said this to me, lying in her hospital bed days from passing, the many family members in the room at the time laughed at this and I think someone said something like ‘you know what that means’. I laughed as well, told her I could not accept them until I met her conditions, gave her a hug, and then left the room to cry.

Despite the fact that I know my nanni was proud of me and that my mother is as well, I cannot help but thinking I have left them down. At my age, my mother had finished her Bachelor’s and was married and taking care of an entire family. I can barely take care of myself. And what do I have to show for my twenty-five years? I have postponed being a contributing member of this society for another year to do who knows what. Sigh.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

May Allah bless your naani, and make her wishes come true.

So, what ARE your demands?

biyapi said...

It's taking a lot of self restraint to not answer that question with a smart-ass comment . . .

The one thing I've learned in my tiny bit of experience is the things that matter are

1. an emotional companion. someone that you know will be there for you when the shit hits the ceiling fan (or whatever the phrase is).

2. someone who shares your sense of humor. not as imp as no. 1, but that's why it's reason no. 2.

[adventures.in.anonymity] said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
[adventures.in.anonymity] said...

i didn't know your grandmother passed away recently. i'm really sorry to hear that. i can't imagine the lingering guilt of her dying wish is helping your cause any.

about these so-called demands of yours - the most important thing for you is to find someone who will be there when the shit hits the fan? wouldn't it just be less emotionally taxing [not to mention a helluva lot cleaner] to just pop a couple of imodium pills?

basically, you want a funny plumber. that doesn't sound too far fetched. those ass cracks sure make me giggle.

Anonymous said...

LOL. I agree. A nice plumber with a good SOH would solve both your problems.

Or invest in a good WC (they call them toilets in the US).

Adeel

biyapi said...

i dunno how a plumber is gonna stop shit from hitting my ceiling fan. and why would it matter if he had a funny ass crack? he must laugh at MY jokes. it's all about me.

biyapi said...

hehe. adeel says watercloset. you speak foblish or british or something.

Anonymous said...

HEHE,

Yeah, it is a relatively less known language called "ENGLISH"!

Anonymous said...

The plumber would help by putting in a good plumbibng system for you (aka toilet, WC, etc). You know? People use toilets in some parts of the world rather than flinging things to the fan!

biyapi said...

adeel, i sense a hint of condescension in your comments. are trying to pretend you're all fancy because you use toilets and speak english?

Anonymous said...

HAHA, it is all in what you think - if you think people who use toilets and speak English are fancy and superior, then they are.

But, believe in yourself! You can do it too, i.e. speak English and use toilets (though preferably not at the same time, or even if so)

biyapi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
biyapi said...

adeel: what's wrong with speaking english while using toilet? do you speak urdu while toileting?

Anonymous said...

Most people dont speak from their vocal cords when using toilets. But then, I am no expert on sound and speech generation of other people during "relief operations".

Sarah said...

HAHAHAHHA. omggggggg, your blog reminded me that I am not the only muslim girl with parents who think that now that i am 25, my "worth is depreciating"

siiiiiiiigh